Saturday, October 15, 2011

Cruzin' Into the World

Today was a special day. That is quite an understatement, but I am quite overwhelmed and it is the best I can come up with.
I am blessed to have a fabulous family that I was born into, and a fabulous family that has included me. Today the second family welcomed its newest member, Cruz Martin Juarez. Seven pounds and one ounce of the sweetest little boy that you can imagine. The first little boy to either of my families in this generation.

I mean seriously, how could you not be in love with him already? He is perfect. He is already sweet and perfect, doing all of the things he is supposed to right off the bat. And beautiful, absolutely beautiful ... so much more than handsome.
This was the first time in a labor and delivery waiting room for me. There were other families there, but the room was mostly full of Finley's and Juarez's ... and me. We were laughing at lunch afterward that we had all of the prerequisites for our own "Modern Family" sitcom. I was happy to be included as the "friend who is family" character. I chose to ignore the fact that said "friend" is usually a little slow, consistently on the prowl, and always in trouble. I was simply happy.
Back to the waiting room, our entertainment was the amazing Stellabug, Cruz's beautiful, brilliant sister who will either be an amazing dancer or the President of the United States. Or maybe she will be the first dancing President of the United States! Who knows? Her potential is unlimited. I mean really ...



Multi-tasking already! She helped us pass the time watching her put together puzzles ("I did it!"), tell us the colors she was using in her Hello Kitty coloring book ("Hey Kitty, Hey Kitty, Hey Kitty!") and climbing into and sliding out of a chair. Who knew that could be so much fun?

Martin (Dad) finally came to the door and told us we could come back, and all eight of is (told you we had taken over the waiting room) trooped back to get our first glimpse of Baby Cruz. He is is dad's boy, without a doubt. He entered the world hungry and sleepy. See, he is perfect already.

I've been getting ready for Cruz for a long time. For months I had been collecting a mini wardrobe from http://www.zulily.com/?ref=logo . I'm pretty sure he is clothed for the first 9 months for less that $100. But what fun is it unless you make something.

I made my first attempt at reading a pattern and learning new stitches.  http://www.goldenbirdknits.com/2009/07/easy-baby-booties-knitting-pattern.html



Yep, that is supposed to be a baby bootie. If you go to the link, you will see a vague resemblance to my creation, but I'm happy to say that Cruz's foot does not resemble this shape in the least.  I didn't give up and my next attempt was much better.


Now those are some cute baby booties, if I do say so myself.

Then, because I liked doing the stockinette stitch, I decided to knit a blanket in it. Unfortunately, I tend to read the "issues to be aware of" AFTER I have discovered them on my own. I quickly learned that stockinette curls all around the edges. 
So ... I looked for a way of correcting the problem and read that you could crochet a border. Now, if you have noticed, I haven't mentioned crocheting anything. That should have been a hint to me to get help, but I thought, eh ... it looks pretty easy. Next issue ... you have to crochet the rows loosely, or they tighten up. 
Add those problems together with some soft blue organic cotton yarn from http://www.patonsyarns.com/ and Voila! ...


You get the baby bag. It tucks in all around little arms and legs and keeps them warm when while he is in his car seat. Yeah, it's a stretch I know, but I still think it is kind of cute.

Well, today is now tomorrow, so I should get some rest. Tomorrow, or rather today, I get to spend more time with the Cruzer and hopefully with the amazing Stellabug. I have done several projects for these two. (That little purse and scarf from my last post was for Stella.) I'll share some more later. For now, I'm off to cuddle the boys. I'll leave you with a few more images from my great day, all thanks to others since I was so overwhelmed I forgot to take a single picture.

Jeannie




No comments:

Post a Comment