Thursday, October 20, 2011

One Man's Trash

For the last few weeks I have periodically gone to help my dear friend Amy G. to clear out her in-laws home. The house was hit pretty hard by the tornado that came through Birmingham in April, and with both of her in-laws sick, it was time for them to move to a new location. The house was full of the amount of "stuff" that takes a lifetime to accumulate. They had lived in the same home for over fifty years, and were clearly not fond of throwing things away. To describe the amount of "stuff" would be impossible, but after months of sorting and separating and claiming by all of the siblings, it was time to call 1-800-JUNK to clear out what was left.

Now, I'm not your garage sale kind of girl. I tend to believe that one man's junk is junk and have no interest in digging for the treasures. But I could not resist one last trip over to see if there was anything that I needed. Honestly, I went to see if there were any bowls left. It seems that when I start to cook, which is not that often, I never have enough or the right sized bowls. I happily found a few, so my trip was successful. I probably should have stopped there but ....


Yeah .... But I can justify it all .... really! I mean who doesn't always need picture frames? Next time I need one ... I have one! One even cost $.72 at Kmart! I know! It is still tagged.

And that doll high chair ... I have little girls who come here and would love to have a doll high chair to play with. I don't have any dolls, but let's not get picky.

See that stick? It's hard to tell, but that is a wooden shaft putter. I brought the whole bag of golf clubs home, but I really just wanted that putter. I mean, I know I haven't played golf in three years, but I'm going to go any day now.

And see that wash basin and pitcher? Wait ... this angle is better.


Now you just know that will be useful in my guest bedroom ..... for my guests .... who don't want to use the guest bathroom.

And those cute framed pieces.... two are even actual water colors and not just prints that came with the frames! It's those two little bitty ones in the front.

And the sleigh ...  Wait you can see it a little better here, holding the pictures and behind the Auburn Tiger plush glass coaster with matching glass with tiger tail painted on. (Oh yeah, somebody's gonna love that for Christmas!)  Can't you just see my Christmas card photo with Roscoe sitting in that sleigh in his Santa suit  and Sam in his reindeer suit in front of it? (It may take me till Christmas to get them to do it, but it will be ADORABLE!)
And how about this ..


Yep, that would be a gen-u-ine, never been opened Auburn bird feeder. I'm gonna be somebody's favorite Secret Santa!

There was more, but I don't want to make you jealous. Now I must go to bed. I heard there was a hot garage sale going on down the road tomorrow, and you know, you gotta get there no later than 5:00 to get the good stuff.

Jeannie

2 comments:

  1. It can get addicting. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and one day, many many years from now, a group of Girlieques will be going through your house wondering where this "stuff" came from. Love it!

    ReplyDelete