Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Lazy Hazy Weekend

I have great friends. I mean really .. I have great friends. They are funny and loving and talented and there for me through whatever crazy adventure I launch. They pick me up when I fall down. (literally and figuratively .... I'm very clumsy ... but that is another story)
This weekend two of my friends, Leigh Anne and her husband Steve, went with me to the lake home owned by some other friends.
Amy and her husband, Nap, have a beautiful home on Lake Martin. This is Amy and Nap. Aren't they a handsome couple? You can see for yourself! I'm not just saying that because they let me borrow their lake house. They are really a handsome couple.
This weekend the house was going to be empty, and they kindly offered it.
Now most people like going to the lake in the summer. Something about the boats and swimming and lying in the sun seems to have an appeal.
I don't swim so well. I hate getting water in my face. There is no need to talk about my panic if my head goes under the water. And I am pretty sure there are critters in that water. Boats are great, if they are moving and have tops on them so I don't get so hot. I don't like to get hot.
But lake houses in the fall and winter ... not that's for me. This weekend the evening temps were down in the 30's and the days were in the 60's. For me, that is just about perfect. The leaves are mostly off the trees so you can see the water.  It is cold enough to have a fire in the fireplace as soon as the sun goes down. Fewer people come down so it is amazingly quiet. The only time better is winter.
So when I found out the house was available, I asked Steve and Leigh Anne if they wanted to go down. They have two dogs that they love in the same crazy way that I love mine. They hate leaving the dogs behind, so they don't go away often. The lake is a great place to take well behaved dogs ... and Roscoe.

Thursday they loaded up Leigh Anne's new car with food and alcohol and dogs and followed me to Dadeville. Leigh Anne is very proud of her new car.
I've been to the lake quite a bit, but this was the longest trip down ever. First we stopped at Wal-Mart to get more food. (You can never have too much food.) Then the warning light came on in my car because my tires were too low. We stopped and Steve bought a tire gauge to check them. (Apparently people are supposed to have tire gauges in their car. Who knew?) Turns out my tires were not just a little low. We pooled all of our change to find enough quarters to buy air. Something is just wrong with that idea ... buying air. After putting our quarters in we found out the "air machine" was broken. So back on the road to the next gas station where luckily you didn't have to pay for air. Everyone in the area seemed to be aware that this station had "free air" and we had to wait in line at the air machine. Amazing.
Finally after getting stuck behind a giant RV for miles down a two lane road, we arrived here.
I said I liked going to the lake. I never said I liked roughing it. This is my kind of get away, four bedrooms, two and a half baths, central heat and air, Direct TV and wireless internet. I love this house.
We quickly unloaded the cars, shoved a pizza in the oven, and settled down in front of a fire.
Well, some settled in front of the fire.  Others preferred the couch. But we all settled in for the night.
Meet Bama and Bailey. Bailey and I are not related.
Now I love Leigh Anne and Steve dearly, and I will acknowledge that I have become somewhat of a night owl, but when I say they go to bed and get up early ... I am not exaggerating. They seriously get up at what I consider the middle of the night. They both talk about how they can't sleep any later. That makes sense to me since they go to bed just as the networks start their prime time broadcasting.
Because they get up so early, I found myself getting up earlier than normal - not their kind of early, but early for me. This is definitely not something that I want to do on a regular basis, but I have to admit, it was worth getting up early to see this.







Yeah, that is the lake under that layer of fog.




And this is the moon above the layer of fog above the lake. I love this place.
When I titled this a hazy weekend, I bet you thought that the hazy referred to our alcohol consumption. OK, so maybe it referred to that too. Saturday morning I looked at the clock and realized that we had eaten breakfast, downed two large bloody marys, played three games of Yahtzee and it still wasn't 8:30 AM. Are we wild and crazy folks or what?
After two days of comfy pajamas, fuzzy socks, good food, cocktails, wine, movies and Yahtzee, Leigh Anne and Steve were up early on Sunday morning (surprise) to head back to Birmingham. I couldn't resist one more day there, so the dogs and I settled in for a quiet Sunday on our own.

We took a little stroll and they enjoyed the back yard.












We sat on the back deck and watched the water roll by.
I read and knitted .
It was a great weekend.








I have great friends.

Jeannie



















No comments:

Post a Comment