Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Soup .. Almost By the Recipe!

I love soup. Vegetable soup, potato soup, butternut squash soup, tortilla soup I really love soup. There is just something comforting about a bowl of soup. It isn't just that it tastes good, there is an emotional component to is. When my mother was alive, if you were sick or sad, you got a bowl of vegetable soup. I miss my mom and I love soup.
Stuffed Pepper Soup
A couple of weeks ago I made my crazy version of vegetable soup. My friend Bill read my blog and sent me a link to a recipe for stuffed pepper soup. Who does not loved stuffed peppers? Certainly not me, so a recipe that combined the two was just too good to resist.
If you click on the caption below the image, it will take you to the link on the Taste of Home website.
As yummy as that looked, I've already told you that I'm not that great at sticking to directions. But I really just added a couple of things and changed a couple of things this time. Honest.






First I started with about 2 1/2 pounds of ground turkey. I put that in a pot to brown and added a medium chopped onion.
After those two items had browned, I added 2 quarts of water, a 29 ounce can of tomato sauce, and a 29 ounce can of diced tomatoes. I chopped two large bell peppers and threw those in. I added a quarter cup of packed brown sugar, (I probably didn't need that much) a large ground up beef bullion cube, a package of sliced baby bella mushrooms, salt, pepper, and two cups of uncooked brown Minute Rice.





I brought all of this to a boil and then covered it and turned it down to simmer (or as close to simmer as my stove does) for about 45 minutes.












Put it in a bowl, pour a glass of wine and eat. This was really, really good soup. To quote my friend Martin, mmmmmm soup! Thanks for the recipe Bill!



Jeannie

1 comment: